Monday, October 4, 2010

An Update

I know it's been a long time since I have updated, and I figured I should let everyone know what is going on in my life. I stopped posting simply because my area of study went away from the Lutheran/Calvinist or Lutheran/Roman Catholic debates into other realms which would not be as helpful to write blog posts on. I spent a considerable amount of time reading the Neo-Orthodox theology of the early 20th century including Barth, Bultmann, Brunner, Neibuhr, etc. Between this study, working full time and planning a wedding for this December, I simply have not had time to post here. I was recently accepted into the MTh program at the Wittenberg Institute which will lead me into a very different area of study. I will be writing a Masters thesis on the doctrine of justification in the early church fathers, primarily to vindicate Luther's reading of Paul in light of the New Perspective on Paul. I hope to begin writing on here again, though probably not as regularly as I had previously. My focus will most likely shift to Patristic studies at least for the time being. Though I will of course deal with Calvinist or Roman Catholic issues if asked.

4 comments:

Steve Bricker said...

Congratulations on your new endeavors, and the thesis subject sounds interesting.

Also, I had not heard of Wittenberg Institute before your post. It looks like a good program.

evc said...

Blessings to you and look forward to hearing how things are progressing.

Anonymous said...

I just began reading about Lutheranism. I have spend many years reading calvinistic and reformed works, but one issue has caused me to look into the Lutheran tradition. I have spent some time reading and researching the disconnect between original sin and infants in the reformed world. They do not offer an adequate view about this issue. Usually they say that all children are elect. There are some who say none. Also, there are those who place them in privileged position in the covenant of believing parents. All these views do not take the doctrine of original sin seriously. Lutheranism takes original sin seriously offering and answer for it in baptism. This would mean I have to weigh the biblical texts dealing with baptismal regeneration. What do you think as a once calvinistic thinker?

filcon said...

I thank God to drop by at your blog and knowing there are theologian students just like you who will soon be a shepherd of the Lord. God bless you.